From humble beginnings in country Victoria, to a small factory in Williamstown Melbourne,
then onto the current modern facility in Altona Melbourne, Lightning Products has been growing a strong but loyal following of its famous quality products.
Eucalyptus and Citrus – key elements
Charles Henry Goodall began this business by distilling eucalyptus oil from a small distillery near Avoca in Victoria in the early 1900’s. Eucalyptus was found to be an exceptional cleaner and natural disinfectant, so the family business of “cleaning” was born from this, and the reason for the use to this day of eucalyptus in Lightning products is based from these humble beginnings. Lightning knows eucalyptus.
The Original Lightning Jell Hand Cleaner was blended to be highly effective for removing grease, paint rubber and carbon black. The best additive for this job apart from a solvent was the addition of natural citrus. The addition of citrus to help in cleaning formulations was a perfect fit, and combined with the natural eucalyptus help create the basis of the company philosophy of making cleaning products that uses less of the harmful chemicals and as much environmentally friendly raw material as possible. And all this was in the mid 1900’s. very early pioneers of being eco friendly.
Red Star and The Chemical Refining Company
The brand “Red Star” was the original business name from that era, and eventually in 1936, (over 80 years ago) became a registered company known as the “Chemical Refining Company”.
Owned and run today by Charles Leigh Goodall (Henry’s son), this family business is now a third generation Australian family owned business, with Leigh’s daughter Kerrie owning and running her grand fathers famous Red Star brand. See https://www.redstarcleaner.com.au/
Birth of Lightning
The actual Lightning name has been around since the early 1950’s. It was an independent chemical cleaning business that was purchased by Leigh in the early 1960’s primarily based on obtaining the name itself. Lightning was destined to become the Key “brand” of the business for all commercial cleaning products, until finally in the early 2000’s Leigh changed the trading name of the business fully to Lightning Products Pty Ltd.
Birth of Euca
Towards the late 60’s into the 70’s a need to provide a laundry powder to the trade for washing mechanics overalls and work gear gave birth to the laundry range we know today as “Euca”. Euca was born of an old family tried and true recipe using eucalyptus of course, but the blend was also very special as it contained no other harsh fillers or chemicals.
Euca has a proven ability to not only clean clothes well, but clean your washing machine, look after your skin and environment and be extremely economical to use as well, being a true concentrate, not like so called other washes. It is a very unique product in the market today.
Lightning have quietly been innovating a whole range of unique cleaning products that out-perform expectations and generally have many varied uses. They work so well, it is hard to pigeon hole them for one specific purpose. Some pivotal key developments have been;
- The first to produce hand cleaners in Australia with natural pumice in them for better cleaning ability and also being a natural based grit helps our waterways. Scrubber hand cleaner, Eucalyptus fresh hand cleaner and Orange Pumice hand cleaner.
- The first to remove all unnecessary fillers in Euca laundry products and a first for its extremely low phosphate powder formula. Euca liquids do not contain phosphate or sodium at all.
- The first vehicle wash that doesn’t have any corrosive additives but also contains a unique component that helps keep painted surfaces cleaner longer. Flash Wash vehicle cleaner and wax. An easier way to clean car, bikes, boats, trucks, planes and more.
- A solvent degreaser / parts cleaner that is non-flammable and non-corrosive. ISD is a heavy duty degreaser that works hard but does not affect alloys, paint or your skin.
- An all purpose degreaser, cleaner that is made from eucalyptus and citrus so is non caustic and non corrosive, making it a safe cleaner for the home, oven and BBQ. Why use a caustic cleaning on your cooking surfaces when you can use TUFF.
- The most extreme natural cleaner money can buy, Solvit is made from citrus and sugar cane. It can remove all traces of gum and glue easily and is great for taking off fresh tagging and graffiti.
In this current modern age where we are governed by strict regulations on all things liquid and chemical, there is the need to always be looking forward and finding the latest “replacement” raw material that is better for us and the environment. Lightning continuously research and source new blends of base materials and update products when possible to make them better for us and our earth without impacting the performance you have come to expect.